Master of Theology
LIFE offers Master of Theology programme, designed to produce competent leaders who have expert knowledge in particular fields. The Postgraduate School is committed to providing the best opportunities and support for advanced theological studies. A competent team of full-time staff and adjunct lecturers serve an ever-growing number of postgraduate students from all parts of the world.
The Master of Theology (MTh)programme provides an advanced level theological education for those who have already completed a recognized Bachelor’s level degree in theology and want to upgrade their knowledge in a specific area of Theological education. The MTh combines a programme of taught courses and written thesis. The degree provides opportunity for Master’s level biblical and theological study related to the fields of Biblical Studies, Christian Education, and Missions and Church Leadership.
The duration of the programme will be two academic sessions. Applicants must understand the high level of commitment that is expected and required to actively participate in this programme year-round for this stated period. Throughout the programme plan of study, students will be drawn to intimacy with God, acquire new ideas, tools, strategies, and techniques that will increase effectiveness and expand opportunities within current and future roles.
On completion of the MTh programme, students should be able to:
1. Evaluate critically a wide spectrum of literature in each of the coursework areas and in the areas of the research undertaken;
2. Demonstrate mastery of the issues of debate in each of these areas:
- Give a fair and informed account of representative points of view in each subject area
- Write a coherent narrative survey which is internally consistent, interacts critically with central issues, and demonstrates ability to form a reasoned opinion;
- Utilize sound hermeneutical principles in contextualizing biblical theology within the subject areas studied;
- Demonstrate advanced skills of research, critical analysis and constructive synthesis, and application to make a significant contribution to knowledge in their area of specialization;
- Demonstrate the distinctive contribution of biblical and theological principles to central issues in their subject areas;
- Participate in the international academic discussion of their field of study with a competence appropriate to Master’s level
- Reflect on the professional, ethical and relational implications of their study for ministry in the modern world
1. Biblical Studies
This M.Th. programme is designed to engage the students in a broad course of biblical, historical, theological and church ministry studies. The programme also equips students with skills at unraveling treasures of the scriptures.
2. Missions and Church Growth
This M.Th. programme is tailored primarily for persons committed to the ordained ministry as church leaders and church planters.It integrates theological curriculum with a supervised missiological field education in contemporary church setting.
This M.Th. programme in Church Administration trains men and women to organize, administer and evaluate church programmes and work successfully with people in a variety of church ministry situations.
4. Christian Education
This M.Th. programme in Christian Education is packaged to train ministers who intend to meet the educational needs of the church.It integrates the Philosophy of Christian Education with Educational Administration.Special attention is given to Bible College Administration and Instructional Design both in theory and in practice.
A highly trained and dedicated group of men and women have been enlisted. Many of them have made significant contributions in theological and non-theological subjects. To keep pace with the progress of modern scholarship in every area of knowledge, the Lecturers at LIFE are continuously involved in studies and research in different areas.
- Candidates must have successfully completed a recognized undergraduate degree in theology or Christian ministries or have qualifications which, in the judgment of the Academic Committee, are of an equivalent standard.
- A Bachelor’s degree with minimum of 2.34 GPA from an accredited institution is required for admission
- Matured student admission policy is based on a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, and at least ten years of fruitful ministry. Eligible candidate must not be less than 35years of age.
- Candidates must complete the admission process as stated on the Seminary portal.
- Candidates with degrees from theological institutions other than LIFE may be admitted and if there be any deficiencies, such will need to be made up prior to the beginning of the Master of Theology Programme.
Graduation Requirements for the Master Degree Award:
- Successful completion of forty (41) credit units divided as follows:
36 Credit Units
5 Credit Units
- To enroll continuously and pay tuition for every session, students will be allowed a maximum of four (4) years in which to complete the degree. The time begins from the week of Orientation.
- Each student is to attend a minimum of six contact sessions which will be held in February, April and July or as may be determined by the Seminary.
- And any other that the Seminary authorities may require from time to time.
CORE COURSES (25CREDITS)
GS 610 Apologetics and Church Outreach (C - 3 units)
BIB 611 Applied Exegesis (C - 3 units)
CA 612 Conflict Management (C - 3 units)
RES 613 Advanced Research Methods (C - 3 units)
GS 614 Entrepreneurship/Ethics of Success (C - 3 units)
TH 615 Theology and Development (C - 3units)
CA 616 Leadership in Contemporary Times (C - 3 units)
CA 617 Thesis (C - 4 units)
Biblical Studies (15 CREDTIS)
BIB620 Bible as Literature (C - 3 units)
TH 621 Issues in Biblical Studies (C - 3 units)
BIB 622 Hebrew/Greek (C - 3 units)
ATH 623 Advanced Systematic Theology (C - 3 units)
ATH 624 Trends in African Christian Theology (C - 3 units)
Church Leadership (15 CREDTIS)
CA 620 Principles and Practice of Leadership (C - 3 units)
CA 621 Christian Leadership (C - 3 units)
CA 622 Management (C - 3 units)
CA 623 Church and Public Relations (C - 3 units)
CA 624 Mentoring (C - 3 units)
Missions/Church Growth (15 CREDTIS)
MC 620 Church Growth in African Context (C - 3 units)
MC 621 Interfaith Dialogue (C - 3 units)
MC 622 Growing a Mega Church (C - 3 units)
MC 623 Management in Missions (C - 3 units)
MC 624 Advanced Cross-Cultural Church Planting (C - 1½ Unit)
MC 625 Cultural Anthropology (C - 1½ Unit)
Christian Education (15 CREDTIS)
CE 620 Foundation for Christian Education (C - 3 Units)
CE 621 Instructional Design: Theory & Practice (C - 1½ Unit)
CE 622 Educational Administration (C - 1½ Unit)
CE 623 Bible College Administration (C - 3 Units)
CE 624 Philosophy of Christian Education (C - 3 Units)
CE 625 Curriculum Development (C - 3 Units)