LIFE Theological Seminary (LIFE), started as an open-air Bible school for the training of men and women for practical Christian ministry. The school was founded by Reverend and Mrs. Harold Curtis, American Foursquare missionaries to Nigeria, in 1955, at a rented space in King George Avenue, now Herbert Macaulay Street, Yaba. The school later metamorphosed into a night Bible school shortly after the Foursquare Gospel Church in Nigeria was inaugurated. Day classes were first held at the campus in Ikorodu in 1958, following Reverend Curtis’ ingenuity and tenacity to see the school grow into a full-fledged Bible school in an ambient location.
Today, Curtis’ mustard seed has grown to become a mighty tree that people from various walks of life are nesting on. The seminary has witnessed significant development in every aspect. About ten thousand students across various Christian denominations and countries (Ghana, DR Congo, Central Africa Republic, Togo, Sierra Leone, Cameroon, Liberia, Sudan, Tanzania, Rwanda, etc.) in Africa have graduated from LIFE with certificates, Diplomas, Bachelor, Masters and Doctoral Degrees.
LIFE has study centers spread across many cities in Nigeria. Two of the seminary’s satellite campuses, have now evolved into the status of a college of theology. These are LIFE Colleges of Theology in Aba and Abuja. The Seminary continues grow by leaps and bounds, making the mark of one of the foremost seminaries in Africa, and in strong alliances with global theological institutions in Africa and the world.
The term "Foursquare" refers to the fourfold ministry of Jesus Christ as Savior, Healer, Baptizer with Holy Spirit and soon Coming King. The extent of this ministry is international and interdenominational as believers heed Christ's call. LIFE Nigeria was named after L.I.F.E Bible College Los Angelos, established in 1923 with its initials representing Lighthouse of International Foursquare Evangelism. LIFE is however open to all denominations.
Classes were first held at the present campus in Ikorodu in 1958. The Seminary remains indebted to contributors and visionaries who have sacrificed their time, efforts and finances to allow the development and expansion of the college to become a recognized leader in Christian leadership development in West Africa.